Saturday, February 02, 2008

Mindless post-call memery

Oh, such a long night last night. At least no one died this time. More later. In the meme-time, I offer up this fun little meme that I'm stealing from my friend Matthew's blog. Apparently the idea is that you hit shuffle on your iPod (mine's in the car, so I cheated and used the "Party Shuffle" function on iTunes) and write the first line of the first fifty songs that turn up. Amusing, and doesn't involve calling a consultant who will just piss you off.

Bonus points if you tell me how many you could identify.

1. I won't be bored, I won't be ignored
2. I'm strong, but I break
3. Is anybody out there? Does anybody see that when the lights are off, something's killing me
4. What you see's not what you get with you
5. Hold on, hold on to yourself. This is gonna hurt like hell.
6. You used to be my closest ally.
7. Question: tell me what you think about me
8. Give me a part that I can play
9. How come we don't even talk no more
10. Want to but I can't help it, I love the way you feel
11. Now the parking lot is empty, everyone's gone some place
12. 6:00 in the morning, wipe the sleep from my eyes
13. Strangers always got some mess to spread but I have learned to flick them off
14. Heaven bent to take my hand, lead me through the fire
15. Could there be a different ending to the same old story?
16. Didn't it rain, children, talkin' bout rain on my Lord
17. I've never written a love song that didn't end in tears
18. I am walking out in the rain and I am listening to the low moan of the dial tone again
19. I'm filling up inside like I need to open wide and pour my heart out to you
20. Folks, come gather round my stand and hear Satchmo's happy Dixie band
21. If you see me walking down the street or in the pages of your magazine lookin' just a little differently, showin' off the softer side of me
22. White people are so scared of black people
23. You know how us Catholic girls can be
24. When you walked up behind me and covered my eyes, and whispered in my ear "guess who"
25. I wanna taste it, give me a little taste, I wanna taste it again
26. She walks to school with the lunch she packed, nobody knows what she's holding back
27. Well you asked me if I'll forget my baby, I guess I will someday
28. I was sittin' on my doorstep, I hung up the phone and it fell out of my hand
29. I said, I want to touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands
30. I had Gods like watchdogs, dogs in a manger, I could feel the protection, possession, and anger
31. Well, there was a little falter at the altar of confession
32. Why don't you return my calls? Why you trip out where I be?
33. Hitched a ride, I was so messed up but I sure was glad to meet ya
34. Sun's up, it's a little after twelve
35. Hey mama, this that shit that make you groove
36. You give me that look that's like laughing with liquid in your mouth
37. We were young and so inspired
38. Hey, get rhythm when you get the blues
39. The room is spinning and I can't breathe and ooh, my head is just achin'
40. When the trumpet of the Lord shall sound and time shall be no more
41. When I was a boy, I thought it just came to ya
42. You understand me, at least you say you do, lately that's enough for me
43. I could go on out tonight and do anything I want
44. 24-34-46, good and thick and what you give her she'll work with it
45. It's just the cutest thing when you get to fussin', cussin', yellin' and throwing things
46. Let me use your toothbrush, have you got a clean shirt
47. If I won me the lottery, I'd dance naked in the street with a top hat full of money
48. Yeah, it's young Romie, looking for a homie, a little Juliet
49. There I was, 10 years old, waiting in my room for him to come home
50. A little stretch of river on a big green field, the kind you see from airplanes, baby, that's the deal, that's the deal

36 was the only one that actually made me stop and listen to the whole thing. So here's the full set of lyrics to that song. I'm also open to interpretation of what that might mean.

You give me that look that's like laughing with liquid in your mouth
Like you're choosing between choking and spitting it all out
Like you're trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
The love is like falling, and falling is like this

It feels like reckless driving when we're talking
It's fun while it lasts, and it's faster than walking
But no one's going to sympathize when we crash
They'll say you hit what you head for, you get what you ask
And we'll say, we didn't know, no we didn't even try
One minute there was road beneath us, and the next just sky

I'm sorry I can't help you, I cannot keep you safe
I'm sorry I can't help myself, so don't look at me that way
We can't fight gravity on a planet that insists
That love is like falling and falling is like this

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I only recognized #'s 14, 29 and 35. What the hell is number 20? Lol. It so doesn't fit with the others on the list.

Bookmark and Share