Monday, January 05, 2009

All things yarn-y

Guess what I got? No, go on, guess.

It's yarn!

No, wait, it gets even better. It's cochineal yarn. Hand imported, from Mexico, by Peng. Who happened to be in Mexico week before last. And bought a giganamous skein of the stuff, from the weaver in the marketplace who used the yarn in her weavings. She, personally, didn't spin and dye the yarn, but her cousin, you know, up the road, she crushed the little cochineal bugs off the cacti, and dried them, and ground them into powder, and used them to dye her yarn. Or at least, I imagine she did. At the very least, her cousin dyed the yarn, and someone crushed up the little cochineal bugs off the cactus.

And so not only did Peng pick me up after my stupid plane was delayed (stupidly), she shared her yarn with me! It made last night better.

And as long as we're on the subject of awesome people giving me wonderful yarn, remember the yarn that Valerie gave me last week? This is what it looks like now. The first toe and instep of the Ruthie socks.

I'm just getting to the start of the short-row heel. Which, sadly, is still the part I can't do by memory.

I'm making up the pattern, but it's basically a 3x4 mini-cable with a beaded rib border. I showed it to Ruthie today, she was pleased.

All in all, a good week for gifted yarn! Thanks, guys!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate, that yarn looks beautiful. Never heard of it before. Send me an email explanation as I don't think your other "pals" --here---care about it.

And the beginning of a sock---pretty nifty.

enjoy carol

Anonymous said...

Actually, the weaver was a little old man (and his family). The kids even had their own mini-looms.

Bookmark and Share