Thursday, September 25, 2008

Love (my photogenic pooch, and my photogenerative parents) Thursday

I had a long day, as per usual, really. We had Treatment Team this morning, which is something new and different on the Psychotic Unit. Treatment team is essentially this - one scared patient pulled into a room full of everyone involved in their care: doctors (4 people, including the med students), nursing (1), social work (2), pharmacy (1), occupational therapy (1), and rec therapy (1). So, 10:1. We put them in the hot seat and say, "how do you think things are going?" and assess where we are relative to our goals for treatment and their goals for treatment.

On the whole, this isn't as awful as it sounds, and actually tends to be very empowering to the patients (well, after the first one). Most of my patients did fine. One of them called me fat after I told him I was changing his medications and felt that he was not ready for discharge ("If we're going to get personal, you could stand to lose some weight." Hmm, yeah, thanks for the advice. Thank God you were here, I never would've known) and then railed on both me and my attending for eating meat. And...then said he'd have to just wait for his UFO to take him away.

Um...yeah.

Yesterday, he almost had me convinced that he was ready for discharge, had made a genuinely logical and somewhat reasonable argument....until he said..."Don't make me get the weather involved."

Uh-huh.

He continues.

"Fine, okay, two thousand years ago I was Jesus Christ, but..."

::sigh: You give a crazy guy enough rope, eventually...ah well.

So, long day. But then we had cake for Faye's birthday (we went out last night, but today was her actual birthday, and she was on call - ew - so Cleo brought her a cake and we sang and it was nice), and then Ruthie offered to drive me home. And then we decided while sitting in traffic that neither of us wanted to cook, so we went to this little diner for dinner. It was nice.

And when I got home, I discovered that my new camera came today! Thanks, Mom and Dad!

Fortunately, I had a willing and photogenic model.

Here's the shot from the old camera:


And the new:


So...um...bluer...better definition...well, I'm still learning how to use it...

BUT. This morning, I got some classic Maggie pics.

I found this new Whipped Cottage Cheese made by this company called Friendship Dairies. It's really good. Really good. This morning I finished the container, and Mags just looked so pathetic and forlorn and wanted something to eat...so I gave her the empty container to clean it up.


It was yummy.

So then she really went in for it.


Which didn't work out so well for Maggie, but I thought it was funny as hell.


Fortunately, she figured it out.




Mmmmmmm, tasty.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When the UFO does come and take him away, you're going to feel really stupid for mocking him on your blog......

DK said...

I'm willing to take that risk.

Anonymous said...

Haven't read this yet, but I love pictures of dogs when they are licking their chomps like that.

Anonymous said...

Dude, your patient.... lol

I was watching lifetime a few nights back (Don't ask me why). This woman was on talking about being abducted by aliens. She had several experiences, and at one time, she was 8 weeks pregnant. She said then, the baby was just "gone". It was not a miscarriage according to her, because she had no bleeding. Then, 9 years later, she's abducted again, and the greys put her in this room with a 9 year old hybrid that looks just like her. She recognizes her as her baby she lost, and is all sad. She was telling the story like we should all be openminded of her or something but I was like, dude- this woman needs to call Kate.

Paige said...

your patients are as crazy as my clients, but yours are SUPPOSED to be!

What kind of camera did you get?

Bookmark and Share