Wednesday, October 22, 2008

How I imagine it....

So I covered up the hole by the fence this morning with the recycle bin, ran off to work and prayed that my dog would still be there some 13 hours later when I returned. But I was reasonably sure she would be - after all, Maggie had occasionally been known to be corralled with a strand of yarn, and besides, the fact that they were at Maxine's house tells me that they stayed more or less together. Because I don't think Maggie knows how to get to Sparrow's house. And they were out there for a while...I left at about quarter to 7 (egh. I know) and our gardener/handyman/lawn guy got here at about 8:30, and he told Sparrow he hadn't seen hide nor hair of them (or, as he said, in his thick Mexican accent, "No rar rar rar!" Maxine likes to bark at him). I think Sparrow got home at ten or noonish or so.

I'm sure, in their little puppy minds, they had quite the grand adventure. That's a long bit of freedom for a couple of house dogs.

It's so funny to me, too, because Mags and Max do this thing where they sort of pretend to hate each other. Or at least be indifferent to each other. But they're so buds. This is sort of how I imagine it went down yesterday....

Maggie: Kate! Kate! Oh! Kate's leaving! Ohhhh.....I don't think she's ever going to come back...

Little Maxine: We should go over to my house! I bet my mom is home. I bet she's there and she doesn't know where I am and she's all sad because there's no little dog to protect her and chew on her earlobes.

Maggie: We can't go to your house! There's a fence! I always get in trouble when I try to walk around on the other side of the fence.

Little Maxine: No, it's okay! I can get us out, it's noooooooooo problem. I used to do it all the time when I lived over there. Wait, just....let me find.....the right place.....

Maggie: I don't know. What if Kate comes back?

Little Maxine: She's never coming back, you said it yourself.

Maggie: Well, but what if she does? She'll be mad if I'm not here.

Little Maxine: No, she won't! I promise!

Maggie: Well, maybe. But she'll do that thing where her eyes get all leaky and my fur gets all wet and she says "Maggie! You scared me so much! Don't ever do that again!" She doesn't seem to like it when I go on the other side of the fence without her.

Little Maxine: She won't mind! Wouldn't she want you to have a big adventure? Plus, we have to find my mom!! Ooh! Look! I can get under the fence right here! Now we can go to my house!

Maggie: I don't know, Small Heel Nipper. I really don't think I'm allowed to go to your house without Kate or your mom.

Little Maxine: There...I've almost got it...can you help me, here?

Maggie: I don't think I should. Well...maybe just a little over here...you do look like you're having so much fun...

Little Maxine: I'm almost done. Can you get through this?

Maggie: No, maybe a little bit wider. Thanks.

Little Maxine: Success! Come on! Let's go find my mom!!

Maggie: I don't know about this, Short Barky One...I think I should wait for Kate...

Little Maxine: What if she's with my mom?

Maggie: Well, that is true...

Little Maxine (from the other side of the fence): Come on!

Maggie: Well, maybe just for a little while...hey, this is kind of snug...

Little Maxine: Come onnnnn! (distant)

Maggie: I'm telling you, I'm not so sure about....hey! Wait for me!!!

Little Maxine: My house is this way! It's not very far!

Maggie: Hey, is that a squirrel?


It's really lucky for them they're so cute....

2 comments:

Robin said...

:-) This totally reminds me of Koko and Lucky! Lucky use to push the bread off of the counter and Koko would help him destroy the evidence. It wasn't until Koko passed that we realized that Lucky really only pushed it off the counter- We'd find the whole loaf still intact on the floor! Guess they really liked each other after all!

Anonymous said...

I think you give Maggie too much credit. I’m sure it went down more like this:

Maggie: Ohhhhh, Kate’s leaving. I don’t think she’s ever coming back. I am sooooo sad! And she left me here with Maxine...who’s doing...something...that looks way fun...hey, what is that short barky one up to?

Maxine: I’m digging.

Maggie: Yaaaaaaaaaaaay we’re digging!!!!

[Maggie joins Maxine digging an escape route. It’s finally big enough for Maxine to squeeze through.]

Maxine: Thanks, Mags. I’m blowing this pop stand. Gonna head back to my ‘hood and find Sparrow. [Maxine goes through hole. Sticks her head back under fence.] You in or you out?

Maggie: Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! I’m in!!!! [Starts to go through hole.] Um, it’s kind of, tight in here, maybe...we should have...dug it...a little bigger.

Maxine: Quit bitching and start thinking yourself small. Sparrow can’t wait for me forever.

[Maggie makes it through the hole. Does celebratory tail-chasing dance.]

Maggie: Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! I made it!

[Maggie squeezes back under the fence and runs all the way back into the house to see if Kate wants to come on Sparrow-Quest 2008. Kate is nowhere to be found.]

Maggie: Ohhhhh, she’s gone! I forgot. I am sooooo sad.

Maxine: [distantly...okay, from the other side of the fence.] Maggie! Where are you? Let’s go!

Maggie: Oh, right. Okay! I’m coming! Waaaaaaiiiiiiit!

[Maggie goes through the hole again]

Maggie: Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! I’m on this side of the fence! Uh oh, I’m not supposed to be out here without Kate. Oh, hamburgers! Hey, mmmmmm, hamburgers. Hey Maxine, when we find Sparrow, do you think she’ll have hamburgers for us? Maxine? Maxine? Wait up!!!

Bookmark and Share