Sunday, October 05, 2008

Overdue

So, fine me. What is it, a library book?

Today was a nice day. Lots of fussing, cleaning, settling. Did some fussing regarding my kid in the hospital, but mostly it was a Kate-and-Maggie sort of day. The den (office? Den? I haven't quite decided what to call it yet) makes more sense now, and you can actually move around in it. Plus, the cable works. The front room, well, makes less sense than it did when it had a sofa in it, but, everything in its time, you know? We hiked up Dish Mountain again today (twice! There were so many dishes I had to let half of them dry and put them away before I could finish the rest. This is why I need a husband. I'll wash, he can dry. Partnership, right? Anyway...) and the last load of laundry is in the washer. I even got groceries. Wowie.

On the way home I stopped and picked up Little Maxine. She and Maggie amused each other (it sounded like they might actually have been playing together) while I made chili. Then they helped with the accidental cheese spill (as opposed to the frequent volitional cheese incidents that happen around here so often...).

And now we are tired.

Maxine's trying out the new comforter. I think she approves.

Anyway. Before I go off to bed, I wanted to FINALLY share the pictures from last weekend. It was an interesting day. I was postcall, hadn't slept, and then proceeded to go out and try to ride my new bike that I bought Sunday morning (again, postcall), and, long story short, fell off my new bike a lot.

Now, long about then, Mike had been hosting a little get-together, centered around the Carrboro Music Festival. I hadn't really planned on going...I was tired...I spent a lot of time falling off my bike...but then I got home and had two text messages and a voice mail from various people saying, "Where are you?"

What could I do?

So I went. And oh, my gosh. So much fun. The festival itself has bands sprawled all over the streets of Carrboro, which fortunately for my poor choice of shoes, isn't very big. It's amazing, the different types of artists, the scope of genres, the amount of people...and the weirdness that I'm told is inherent in NC street festivals.

Namely, hula hoops. Lots of people with hula hoops. I....weird.

And of course, there were the political pitchers...who...strangely....all seemed to be Obamites (actually, that's not that strange around here. But 20 miles out, it would be).

My favorites were the Obama Mamas.

They were having an Obake Sale.

He he.

There was a giant commemorative sand castle.

Impressive, especially when held against the ones Peng and Mike and I made last year.

There were the obligatory weird people.

Yes, that's police caution tape she's wearing as a bra. We think they were with some Hoopers.

I made friends with this random dog who was tied to a tree.

Which of course brought more friends. The little ones were not so blurry in real life.

I found this at a neat little bar that's next to a bigger bar I've been to a bunch of times, but I'd never been in this one.

The band was iffy. The piano was wicked (click to enlarge, as on all of the pix).

On the walk home, I managed to get a great shot of Sparrow next to this sign:

It's really a shame I have that hangup about not showing people I know on my blog, because she is cute in this picture, y'all.

So then we went back to Mikes to do more drinking, and eating of meat.

Mike has some darn cute kitties. This is Madeline.

She was posing well for me that night.

Her little sister, Clementine.

Sooo sweet.....she was curled up on Mike's blanket for most of the evening, except when the humans got too loud and annoying.

Madeline was a little more social.

She even got her boogie on a little (Mike helped).

See? Good people around me. Fun stuff.

And now, me and the girls? We're going to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All right, Kate. I love the caution tape bra. Little Maxine has the cutest face. I call Obama Barack Hotmama. Have a great week!

Bookmark and Share