Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Things that make me love my job

We had the first half of our yearly inservice exam today, and then had lecture until 5:30. Today was long. I tried to take a nap in the pink chair in our office, but...it broke. We still haven't figured out how or why it broke, but, the event looked something like this:

Me: (settles into chair. Something seems off) Ruthie, I think there's something wrong with the chair.
Ruthie: Oh, no, it's fine. It's just because Dr. G sat in it (Dr. G had just left our office)
Me: No, something feels weird....
(about five minutes pass. Suddenly, I realize....my head...is...sinking.....)
Me: Uh, Ruthie? I think there really is something wrong with the chaaaaaaaaaair!

And over I went. I actually ended up under Peng's desk all tangled up in the chair with my legs up in the air. It was.....let's go with.....highly comical.

So then later, Ruthie offers to drive me home. Which, great, because I walked today. So she goes out of the parking garage, and turns right...my house is about a mile and a half to the left. But, okay, it's hard to make a left turn out of there. So then she keeps going, gets to the point where you can turn right and double back to my house...and turns left. I waited about a block, and then said, "Um.....Ruthie......? Where are you taking me??"

Her answer?

"This way."

And this would be why Ruthie and I are friends.

She ended up taking the most convoluted route possible to get me home. Which worked out okay, because we ended up having to stop for provisions finding this cute little restaurant that was a little odd, but very tasty, and had nice ambiance.

It's been a long, weird day.

But then I read this, and you know? It made me very glad I was not the White Plains, NY medical examiner. Or a park worker. Can you imagine? "Oh, look, a suitcase....."

Okay, also glad I'm not a drug mule. Out of all the involved parties, I think his day was worst.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the park worker has a very close second on "worst day" in that scenario. Yeah, the drug mule's dead, but at least he doesn't have to go around with the image of a leg "popped out" of a suitcase for the rest of his life...

Robin said...

Oh my- how sad!

Bookmark and Share